Members Area


Property ( Relationships ) Act 1976

 Select Topic
 Related Topics

This topic is duplicated under "Matrimonial Property" and under "Relationship Property".


As at the 1 February 2002 the whole law changed and is now covered by the Property (Relationships) Act 1976.   (They kept the year 1976, but changed the whole Act.  It seems confusing, but it is a new Act).

We will provide you with:

  • Direct Access to the full Act of Parliament.
  • A Full Overview of the Law.
  • Practical Steps to Reach an Agreement.
  • Full Draft Property Agreements. Separation and Pre-Nuptial.
  • Full Court Documentation if Agreement Fails.   

We also give you practical know how on Superannuation, Caveats or Notices of Claims on titles and Judicial Settlement Conferences. 

You may access the full  Property ( Relationships ) Act 1976 directly by clicking on to the following hyperlink provided below.  


We suggest you read through the full text of this site first. We will provide the direct links again for you convenience at the relevant parts of this site.                                           

We give you immediate access  to draft Agreements which you can fill in, alter and print off or copy and paste to your own Word document as you wish.



.....The first part of this topic has been displayed free of charge. Join up for $45 to have access to this and all other topics!

Feedback / Reviews / Blogs on this topic
"While you have considerable detailed information for the applicant there is no information directed at a respondent and how to respond.
Netlaw responds: Sorry. We will add to the topic today. The Respondent must, within 20 working days, file in the Court and serve on the Applicant, his or her own Affidavit of Assets and Liabilities as well as a Narrative Affidavit."

Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Access - All About Supervised Access
"Hi Netlaw,

I was really helped by this topic, particular the instant link to at least 25 recent reported decisions of the Family Court. It really helps those who don't know how to look up this stuff. Thanks . . . Kathryn - Balclutha April 2006"

Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Access - All About Supervised Access
"A helpful site. Explained well. Marty - Timaru - January 2007"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Access - All About Supervised Access
"Up to date. Great. the IRD Child Support site is so hard to follow. You need a computer degree. You tell it like it is. (One pissed off father)


"Bloody fantastic coverage. Easy to understand and work out. Mike R - Auckland Central"
"Please advise - My partner pays his ex-wife child support every week. (The amount was agreed via a settlement agreement nutted out between lawyers at mediation.) Is this child support still payable on weeks when we have the children? (in school holidays we have the children for half of the time). It seems unfair for his ex-wife to be getting paid child support when we are supporting the children.
Netlaw replies - The access you enjoy in the holidays must be averaged out over the whole year. It does not apply on a weekly basis. That sounds unfair but that is the way it has been interpreted. "

Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Access - All About Supervised Access
". . . . bloody helpful for me to get through the thicket of Rules and procedures . . . Frankie - Tauranga - February 2007"
"I just want to agree . . . JCH - Auckland"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Access - All About Supervised Access
"Hi, what is the success of wives asking for spousal support today? is it a common application or is it becoming too rare because there is DPB available and also because the system is changing and not favoring this type of maintenance anymore?? I just like to have a rough idea if I should pursue this. I've recently been made redundant, am getting no child maintenance and my ex says that I wont be able to get anything anyway as his business is off shore...Any help will be great thanks.

Netlaw replies: It is not common because the DPB is well above what most partners could afford, and still maintain themselves. But in financially well off families spousal maintenance is a runner, particularly until a matrimonial property division provides the partner in need with a large lump sum. Then, the need for extra maintenance dissipates. Apply for a benefit immediately and then apply also to the Family Court for an order for spousal maintenance. If the orders you receive amount to LESS than the DPB then that money goes towards the benefit, not on top. But if your order is MORE than the benefit then you just go off the benefit and take the sum awarded."

Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Access - All About Supervised Access
"Very helpful . . . McBreen"
"Now that I understand the principles it has made it easier for me to prepare and make final decisions. thank you. Kirsten."
"Great coverage to have it all laid out. Could you try and give us some uncomplicated documents. yours are useful but are there any simpler docs? Keep up the good work. A really helpful website. Graeme H. Wellington - May 2007"
"I have made good use of this topic and the other topics on Wills. Well done. Jim H (retired) - Devonport - May 2007"
"Bloody Hell! You provide us with the documentation as well! This is great stuff. I will still use a lawyer but I now have enough information to make some informed decisions myself.
Kevin M - Hamilton"

"Hi Netlaw...i have found your site very helpful to me in applying for a parent order. Anexcellent site with the right information, easy to use steps.

Thanks so much :)))"

"HI, posted yesterday trying to find application boilerplate for challenging will due to unsound mind (with medical evidence). Thanks"
 Select Topic
 Related Topics