Members Area


Doctors - Complaints against the Medical Profession

 Select Topic
 Related Topics

This site covers both your rights as a patient as well as how to make a complaint against a Doctor.

Your rights as a patient .  .  .  . 

Your rights are covered and protected by by the Code of Health and Disability Services Consumers’ Rights.

The Code is also available on-line at the Commissioner’s Website :


.  .  .  .   Have a browse


Your rights under the Code

Patients have the following rights  .  .  .  .  . 

  • to be treated with respect
  • to not be discriminated against
  • to be kept fully informed
  • to be able to complain if their rights as a patient are breached.

How can a Consumer Advocate help me?

The role of the Health and Disability Consumer Advocate is to :

  • listen to your concerns
  • give you information about your legal rights
  • help you identify and clarify the issues
  • help you consider the options available to you
  • support you when you take action

The Advocate will focus on helping you and the health-care provider come to an agreement.

But the Advocate is not neutral  –  their job is to be an advocate for you,  the patient.

You can contact an Advocate by phoning toll-free on:

  • 0800 205 555, for the upper North Island
  • 0800 423 638, for the central and lower North Island
  • 0800 377 766, for the South Island


The Code of Rights gives you  options as to whom to make a complaint.

You can complain directly to the Health and Disability Commissioner but the Commissioner recommends that you first complain directly to the doctor or hospital concerned.

The first part of this topic has been displayed free of charge. Join up for $45 to have access to this and all other topics!

Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Abortion, Sterilisation and Contraception
"I found this interesting. I want to sue for punitive damages and I was interested to learn that our courts are pretty conservative. I think the Welfare have quite wrongly taken my kids and I have found out that the affidavit they gave to a Judge to get an order to uplift them was known to the Welfare to be incorrect. They told the Judge that I had drug convictions but when I found out 5 months ago that they thought that I proved then to them that this was untrue yet I have now found that they have still put this false evidence in an affidavit. But they have also told other people about my "drug convictions". You have to watch these people. (name witheld) - May 2007"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Abortion, Sterilisation and Contraception
"I used to hear all sorts of stories about how some officers lie in the course of their work and thought it was probably rubbish. In most cases, officers work with integrity under difficult circumstances. However, I've just had first hand experience of an officer's lack of honesty in relation to a traffic offence. A kindergarten released private information about ourselves and our child to a policeman investigating an incident. They may have done so lawfully, thats a matter for someone else to decide. But then that policeman, on his official jobsheet, outrightly lied and said the information had come from another party (we have proved it did not).
The kindy refuses to tell us the basis on which they felt release of the info was warranted (i.e. the story the officer spun to them), or what information they gave to him. Since the jobsheet was falsified, we cant get it from there either, and we hardly trust Mr Plod to give us an accurate account now, can we?
Are they not obliged to tell to explain their handling of our private information, lawfully or otherwise?
Is there a provision or statute anywhere that allows officers to provide false statements on official documents to cover-up where they obtained information from?

Netlaw replies: We do know of a number of cases where police officers have lied and falsified evidence. We sincerely believe it is very rare in NZ. However, if you have clear evidence of this, not just a difference of opinion, then you must report it to the Police Complaints Authortity as well as the Commissioner of Police."

Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Abortion, Sterilisation and Contraception
"I did my own documents and got before a Judge and got my own order for protection. I reckon I did it faster then my lawyer last time I need such an order two years ago.
Thank you . . . . Sandie (not my real name)"

"Don't forget, you can do it yourself but if you are ona benefit your lawyer gets paid by legal aid. Annie Y - Auckland"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Abortion, Sterilisation and Contraception
"My husband and I liked all this information. Keep it up please! Well worth the $45. We have spent so much on lawyers, blast them. I suppose they are necessary but when we see these concepts set out simply by you in Netlaw we wonder what all the secrecy and fuss was about in other matters. "
"I have heard that through the Will I am able to gift up to $27 500.00 of my property per year to some one that I want to inherit without paying gifting fees where do I find a template for this

Netlaw answers: Good morning,

You posted a blog on Netlaw this morning. We reply as follows.

Gift duty is not payable on money or assets which pass under your will. Therefore, you can leave $1,000,000 to someone in your will and it is not classified as a gift.
However, if you wanted to give someone $1 million during your lifetime then that would attract gift duty at 40 cents in the dollar (subject to a more specific calculation about a lesser amount of gift duty in some bands above $27,000) for any amount gifted over $27,000 per year. This is why gift programmes over a number of years have to be set up during the course of your lifetime to avoid or minimise paying gift duty.
But we repeat - money or assets left under a will are not treated as gifts for gift duty purposes. Nor are death duties payable any more. They were abolished well over 10 years ago.

Cheers . . . . Netlaw"

 Select Topic
 Related Topics