Members Area


Disciplining Your Children

 Select Topic
 Related Topics

This topic is duplicated under our topic -  "Smacking Children - The Law".


There has been much discussion over the last two years about the outlawing of smacking children but now a private member’s bill on this difficult subject has drawn the ballot for early consideration by Parliament.


Let us bring you up to date.


The debate rages from the age-old adage “spare the rod and spoil the child” to the modern concept that no physical force against kids is justifiable in any circumstances. 

The OLD LAW was

59. Domestic discipline -

(1) Every parent of a child and, subject to subsection (3) of this section, every person in the place of the parent of a child is justified in using force by way of correction towards the child, if the force used is reasonable in the circumstances.

(2) The reasonableness of the force used is a question of fact.

(3) Nothing in subsection (1) of this section justifies the use of force towards a child in contravention of section 139A of the Education Act 1989.

This OLD section deals with rights to smack a child. The force used had to be reasonable. It provided a defence against a charge of assault. The Government is currently thinking of changing the law and repealing this section.   NOW ALL GONE.

The NEW LAW is -

59 – Parental Control<

.....The first part of this topic has been displayed free of charge. Join up for $45 to have access to this and all other topics!

Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Aiding and Abetting - Parties to Offences
"Is it possible to get a discharge without conviction on a dangerous driving or reckless driving charge? Thanks

Netlaw replies: Yes, it is possible, but very difficult. There would have to be very special reasons like driving in an emergency situation."

Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Aiding and Abetting - Parties to Offences
"Helped us greatly. We also looked through all your other criminal sites and have printed some off. Thanks Netlaw. Ali"
"Do we have to use the State paid "Youth Advocates"? Mrs H. (name withheld)

Netlaw replies - No, but you do have to pay for a lawyer of your choice UNLESS the case is so serious that it goes to the District Court or the High Court. Then, normal legal aid takes over where you can choose your own lawyer."

 Select Topic
 Related Topics