Members Area


Contraception (Abortion and Sterilisation)

 Select Topic
 Related Topics

THIS TOPIC IS CURRENTLY BEING UPDATED.  This will be completed by Friday 28 July.

A delicate topic .  .  . you need to know the law

The law governing reproductive rights and abortion is contained in the CONTRACEPTION, STERILISATION AND ABORTION ACT 1977.

Just click on to that Act by the direct link below :



An Act is also known as a Statute.  A Regulation is also sometimes known as a Rule. We give three options as follows:

Statutory Regulations
Local & Private Acts

Decide first whether you are looking for an Act or a Regulation.

For example, if you are looking for the CONTRACEPTION, STERILISATION AND ABORTION ACT 1977, then push the plus ( + ) sign beside the letter C and then scroll down to that Act and bingo,  there it is.  It's easy.

The same process is used if you are looking for a Regulation, although you obviously push the 'Regulations' button first.


Unless one of the other specified grounds apply  (see below),  a woman or girl is not entitled to an abortion unless two consultants certify that the pregnancy poses a serious danger to the woman or girl’s physical or mental health.   In practice,  this has proved to be NOT too difficult.

In assessing whether this serious danger exists,  the consultants can take into account :

  • whether the woman or girl is near the beginning or the end of the usual child-bearing years
  • whether there are reasonable grounds for believing that the pregnancy is the result of sexual violation

An abortion can also be authorised if two consultants certify :

Feedback / Reviews / Blogs on this topic
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Adoption Act 1955
"This topic delivered what it promised. Documents and ideas and some tips. I was happy. Miriam (Not rael name, but name supplied) Hamilton."
"I see that the documents posted on the Family Court of New Zealand now differ to the ones posted on your site, example form A4 consent to adoption -
It asks for different information on the front page, e..g deponent and with or without notice, what does all this mean, and how do I complete this part of the form?
Do you have a sample of one of these forms completed?

Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Adoption Act 1955
"I find this topic really helpful as well as all the topics under the "Weekend Arrest" topic. This is the sort of basic informatin which needs to be taught in schools. Don't you agree?"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Adoption Act 1955
"Thank you. It was not as easy as I thought because they wanted so many identifying details but your whole Netlaw site helped me. Barbara H - Oamaru - March 2007"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Adoption Act 1955
"Up to date. Great. the IRD Child Support site is so hard to follow. You need a computer degree. You tell it like it is. (One pissed off father)"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Adoption Act 1955
"Hi, what is the success of wives asking for spousal support today? is it a common application or is it becoming too rare because there is DPB available and also because the system is changing and not favoring this type of maintenance anymore?? I just like to have a rough idea if I should pursue this. I've recently been made redundant, am getting no child maintenance and my ex says that I wont be able to get anything anyway as his business is off shore...Any help will be great thanks.

Netlaw replies: It is not common because the DPB is well above what most partners could afford, and still maintain themselves. But in financially well off families spousal maintenance is a runner, particularly until a matrimonial property division provides the partner in need with a large lump sum. Then, the need for extra maintenance dissipates. Apply for a benefit immediately and then apply also to the Family Court for an order for spousal maintenance. If the orders you receive amount to LESS than the DPB then that money goes towards the benefit, not on top. But if your order is MORE than the benefit then you just go off the benefit and take the sum awarded."

 Select Topic
 Related Topics