Members Area


Criminal Records - The Wanganui Computer

 Select Topic
 Related Topics

Do you want a Copy of your Criminal Record?

We will show you precisely how to go about it.

This site will give you everything you need to know about accessing your own criminal records. 

We will show you have to do this.

However, before we start we should point out that you are  able to access only your criminal record and you are NOT entitled to have access to a whole lot of intelligence information that the Police may or may not have gathered together about you. 

The Police operate Criminal Intelligence Units around the country in order to put together and collect general information about criminals and criminal activity so that they can build up an intelligence network of information which can be used for preventing and fighting crime. 

There is nothing wrong with this provided the information is kept secure within the Police force.  In any civilised society it is essential for a Police force to be able to collect and collect data and information in relation to criminal activity for investigation purposes. 

This is not the stuff of secret police.  It is essential for the police to be able to act effectively. 

You are not entitled to access this information.

However, you are entitled to have access to your own criminal records so that you can check that they are correct and change the and if they are incorrect.

You can obtain the information about yourself by applying to the Privacy Assistant of the Department for Courts. The application is made on a special form which is designed to ensure that the information you are requesting actually applies to you and not to another person.

You can access the actual form through the direct link in blue below.

You can also obtain the form from your local District Court. If you cannot travel to a District Court you may ask for the form to be sent to you by writing to:

The Privacy Assistant
Department for Courts
National Office
PO Box 2750

Or alternatively, contacting the Privacy Assistant on by phone  (04) 918 8800, or fax  (04) 918 8974

.....The first part of this topic has been displayed free of charge. Join up for $45 to have access to this and all other topics!

"Easy to read and it suited what I was looking for. Evan . . . . Ohope"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Arrest
"I find this topic really helpful as well as all the topics under the "Weekend Arrest" topic. This is the sort of basic informatin which needs to be taught in schools. Don't you agree?"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Arrest
"I was looking round Google to find something about representing myself and I found this and a number of your topics SPOT ON. Thanks. This one was great! Jon F. Auckland - May 2007"
"Thanks Netlaw. Rolf - Auckland"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Arrest
"Is it possible to get a discharge without conviction on a dangerous driving or reckless driving charge? Thanks

Netlaw replies: Yes, it is possible, but very difficult. There would have to be very special reasons like driving in an emergency situation."

Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Arrest
"Dear Netlaw . . . it was really helpful to realise the difficultes in getting suppression of name and to get some of the caselaw. It allowed me to prepare a lot better. I had a silly shoplifting case but I am in my early thirties and I really wanted name suppression. You guys really helped. Also, you other sites are dazzling. Becs (not my real name)

 Select Topic
 Related Topics