Members Area


Court Filing Fees

 Select Topic
 Related Topics

As from 1 July 2004 the filing fees in our Courts have increased a great deal.  We believe they are far too high.  The schedules you can access through the links below may not have yet been changed by the Ministry.  The cost of filing proceedings in the High Court has increased from $900 to $1100 but there are much higher increases in other areas.

The cost of filing a set of proceedings in the District Court has jumped from $60 to $140.

We will update the schedules as the new information comes to hand.

Below is a schedule of the filing fees necessary to pay whenever you file a document in the Court.

High Court Fees and Charges

[Effective from 1 July 2004]


This notice is intended as a guide only, if uncertain you should refer to the relevant statutes and regulations. 


Fees can only be waived upon application [Fee waiver application] on one of two grounds only. These are either:

·        Payment of the fee would cause undue financial hardship [Reg. 6 (3) High Court Fees Regs. 2001]; or

·        The proceeding is intended to determine a question of law that is of significant public interest [Reg. 6 (4) High Court Fees Regs. 20

.....The first part of this topic has been displayed free of charge. Join up for $45 to have access to this and all other topics!

Feedback / Reviews / Blogs on this topic
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Appeals
"Precisely what I wanted. Cheryl G. Rotorua - May 2007"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Appeals
"I liked you Civil Index. Not much need for family or criminal but you civil index is very good to have at my fingertips. Thanks for providing this service T. (name withheld)"
"Great assistance. I agree with the above. Your civil topics are great. Better than we get at Polytech where I am studying Business Law. Terry -Dunedin - June 2007"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Appeals
"I found all this Company Law stuff really helpful. Not too academic but enough to get a really good grounding in some of the pitfalls. You need to read all the company topics to get a handle on this huge area. Anthony - Christchurch - April 2007"
"it is utterly unfair that a debtor can get away with not paying, and often does simply because the creditor doesn't have the money (because the debtor didn't pay!) to go through all of this process. I'm sickened by the proceess which has seen me now not only being ripped off by this debtor, but then(and still) by the debt collector I folishly decided to use because I couldn't afford the intial legal fees (due to not being paid by the debtor!). Court has finally decided in our favor, but debtor still hasn't paid and I have to find more yet money to apply to have him liquidated, without any promise of getting anything back."
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Appeals
"I found all these contract topics interesting and helpful. JD. Napier December 2006"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Appeals
"It's not fair that when you win a case you still have to beg a judge to award you costs and even then the award is always less than you have to pay your lawyer. This happened to me. My lawyer told me that there's always two sides to a story but the judge didn't recognise any validity in the other side's claim yet the nett result is that I recover only about 60% of my costs to my lawyer and the other 40% is about half of what I won in the case. That isn't justice. A real pissed off Kevin J. - Auckland - June 2007"
"NETLAW replies. Yes, we agree. What you need to do in these cases is make an Application for "Full and Reasonable Costs" and argue that the Court should (it can) make a full award. You need to convince a Judge that the other side never really has a chance of winning and that it is unfair that you should have to pay any costs. That is the way it is in the UK and Australia. But in New Zealand, it is usually only a percentage of the costs that you get back. That is unfair in many many cases. NETLAW - June 2007"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Appeals
"Bloody useful and practical. I sued for the recovery of money owing to me by a former friend. He owed me &11,000 so I could not use the Disputes Tribunal. I used a simple Statement of Claim. I forgot the Notice of Proceeding and the Court helped me but I then noticed that you had one on Netlaw. Your documents helped me and the Court staff were pretty good too. Cheers . . . Colin Dunedin - May 2007"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Appeals
"I am a retired Solicitor from Kent in England and the $45 I spent on your site was really helpful because I am intending settling in New Zealand and your "one stop shop" was a real boon to me. Thanks again. Arnold T. Devon, England"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Appeals
"I found this interesting. I want to sue for punitive damages and I was interested to learn that our courts are pretty conservative. I think the Welfare have quite wrongly taken my kids and I have found out that the affidavit they gave to a Judge to get an order to uplift them was known to the Welfare to be incorrect. They told the Judge that I had drug convictions but when I found out 5 months ago that they thought that I proved then to them that this was untrue yet I have now found that they have still put this false evidence in an affidavit. But they have also told other people about my "drug convictions". You have to watch these people. (name witheld) - May 2007"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Appeals
"I got so much from this site. You are right. It is better to "upskill" myself first before paying megabucks to a lawyer just to get an opinion.

I liked access to the case law and the real life submissions. Tim Shadbolt's case was a dag. How much did he get? Bud. Auckland

Thanks a lot . . . Max (Devonport)"

Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Appeals
"The fact examples or samples really helped me. Your topic also gave me confidence to speak up for myself. My case was a simple car accident but the other driver wouldn't pay and my lawyer was going to charge me $700 just to help. Netlaw allowed me successfully to "go it alone". Thanks. Thanks. I am on to making my own will now. Miriam (and hubbie)"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Appeals
"Great to be right up to date with the new Evidence Act. Richard G. - Wellington"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Appeals
"My neighbour had her bag snatched in the main st of Papakura. Her insurance company will pay to get the locks replaced for her house but not for her car. I think this is extremely unfair as her car was not the target for the theft.

We agree . . . Insurances Companies are increasingly relying on small print and NOT saying at the time the insurance is taken out that a car insurance does NOT cover items pinched from inside the car, and, in this case, obviously consider that the car is not similar to the house. It is best to get your Policy and sit down with an Insurance Company Rep. and try and discuss every little thing that could arise for which you would like to have coverage. - Netlaw"

Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Appeals
"Coverage is very good. I would appreciate a bit more detail on expiry dates for Copyright. Genna T.

Netlaw replies - Will do."

Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Appeals
"Great. See the other topics on Statement of Claim -Some Examples - Graeme - Tauranga"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Appeals
"A fun topic. I can remember when I was a lawyer's secretary. He had a wee figurine of a barrister on his desk with a sign on it saying "Sue The Bastards" but, then, he should know because he was a bastard too, but a very good lawyer. (name withheld)"
Feedback/Blogs/Reviews from related topic: Appeals
"Can the Family Protection Act help 2 kids 11 and 13 to some provision from their fathers estate when there is no will. They live with their mother (divorced from late father) and now his defacto (no children involved) is claiming everything and not willing to make any provision for these children. House and furniture gone to her as purchsed jointly but there is still balance of insurance, super ann. ute, boat and personal effects that could be dispersed to them. At present all they have is hte ACC weekly payment that replaces the child support thir father paid.
Is there anything fathers family can do to get something for his boys? Any thoughts or othe similar experiences??

Netlaw replies: YES. A claim can be made if there is no will. It sounds as if they have a very dtrong case. See a lawyer immediately.


"Dear Netlaw,
Our father had a will which was invalidated by a 3-day form of marriage. The woman in question got divorced 1-month before and married our father when he was in a semi-coma and he died 3-days later. The supposed spouse is now applying to be Administrator under the Administration Act and after $121,000 + 1/3 share of remaining property. Could you please advise, do the children (there are 4 of us) have any remedies? Your expertise will be gratefully received and is very much appreciated, thank you.

Netlaw replies: Yes. Children can file a claim under the Family Protection Act 1955 asking the Family Court to provide "further provision" from the will. Our special topic "Family Protection Act 1955" covers the principles.

But in this case, you might also be able to challenge the validity of the new will on the basis of your father's medical condition and possibly on the basis that he signed under pressure."

I have a mother who is 80 years old with dementia. We (6 children) don't think she has a will and no EPOA. She has no real assets except $8000 in the bank which is intended for her funeral. Are we likely to run into any problems or major costs if no will exists at her death. Is there anything we could do now to make life easier in the event of her death. I'm guessing if she doesn't have a will now, its probably too late.
Any help would be much appreciated.


Netlaw replies - It is too late unfortunately. See a lawyer."

 Select Topic
 Related Topics